Monday 14 March 2011

Replacement jockey wheels for SRAM X9 rear derailleur

When looking for replacement jockey wheels for SRAM derailleurs, there is a lot of conflicting compatibility details, particularly for SRAM X9.  I've written this to help X9 owners.
SRAM X9 (2009/2010) jockey wheels

My X9 (2009 model) jockey wheels were seizing up after every winter ride.  I had to remove the wheels, clean them (where I noticed that that rust would come from the bearing), and grease them after every ride.  I found the bearings on the X9 wheels would give problems after just a few weeks from new.  I only ride at weekends, so I found that after just 2 or 3 rides, the bearings went stiff.  I tried greasing them or just using TF2 spray and neither helped.  Some people recommend not greasing as this can attract dirt and make it worse.   I had to buy a new derailleur (for another reason)  and  got another X9, but a 2010 model.  This was exactly the same and again the jockey wheels then went stiff and were seizing after just two rides.

Genuine SRAM jockey wheels are £23 from CRC.  I started looking for alternatives, as I'd proved that the SRAM bearings were hopeless, but soon found that none seemed to be compatible with the X9 derailleur.

Then a fellow BikeRader forum user (thanks 'glennpro09') confirmed that the KCNC wheels fitted his 2010 X9 long cage derailleur, even though sites list the KCNC's for only SRAM X0 and some specifically say "not X9".

The KCNC jockey wheels get excellent reviews, but are quite expensive.  They do 10,11,12 & 13 teeth versions and all available with either a stainless steal bearing or a ceramic bearing.  I opted for the ceramic version of the 11T at £37.99 (delivered) from Ready to Ride Cycles via eBay.   The benefits of a ceramic bearing may be wasted in a jockey wheel, but for the £11 premium I decided it was worth buying the 'best'.

They are a perfect fit for the 2009/2010 X9, as you can see from these photos...



They've now been fitted on my bike for last four rides and so far are still running as smooth as they were when new (and the ceramic bearing is soooo much smoother than the SRAM wheels were when new) and not needed cleaning, apart from the normal hose down I give my bike after each muddy ride.  My new SRAM wheels were stiff by this time, so so far they've proved to be superior.  Only time will tell, but build quality and the way the bearings are sealed, these look like they will work and prove to be far better than buying genuine SRAM jockey wheels.  By fitting these, the time I need to spend cleaning the bike has certainly reduced considerably.  Although these KCNC wheels were expensive, it was money well spent.  Just wish SRAM could make their bearings cope with the UK conditions.

Update: My 2009 X9 rear derailleur is stamped 'DEC2009', is actually a 2010 model.  After referring to the SRAM parts lists, it seems that these KCNC jockey wheels will fit the following SRAM 3x9 models:

  • X0 2006-2011
  • X9 2010-2011
  • X7 2010-2011
Check first though.  See the SRAM parts list here before you buy.

13 comments:

  1. Cheers mate gonna give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well after two months these KCNC jockey wheels are still running smoothly, unlike the original SRAM wheels. I've not had to take them out to clean them, unlike I was having to do before. Some of this maybe the better weather, but even so, they are clearly far superior to the SRAM wheels and worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using these KCNC jockey wheels for 3 months now and they are still spinning freely, even when clogged with gunk. This was a well worth while upgrade. Not needed to remove them in all this time, unlike the original SRAM ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks,
    You stopped my headhache trying to find a better repleacement product for those cheap plastic genuine SRAM jockey wheels.
    I'll give a try to KCNC and I wish this will solved my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep ! It works as said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    thanks for your post. I have a sram x9 10-speed 2011 and I think that the jockey wheels are the same that yours. At least the look like the same and I think that the part number is the same. Just to be sure, could you measure the diameter of your jockey wheels' hole/screw for me? Mine is around 5mm.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes my original SRAM jockey wheels have a center hole 6mm and the bolts are about 4.5mm diameter.

    These KCNC jockey wheels just keep impressing me. They still run smoothly and have never needed cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi..
    I hope the latest anonymous reads this.
    Did they work with SRAM X9, 10 speed 2011. That would be perfect for me.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi guys.
    Checked with X-9 2012 , works perfect.
    Wheel is a bit narrow (0,7mm) than orginal,
    but 10 speed chain fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi what about compatibility with a 2008 SRAM X9 Rear mech?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info, those jockey wheels look great!
    Casters and Wheels & Industrial Tire

    ReplyDelete
  12. So the apparently much wider teeth on the KCNC don't make a difference, or at least not a negative difference? Or are the apparently narrower teeth on the SRAM wheel due to wear and tear?

    ReplyDelete