Tuesday 4 January 2011

Endura Singletrack E8007 pants

I've never liked lycra trousers.  I look silly in them.  Then one day after getting in from a ride my wife made a comment like "you can't go out looking like that again" after seeing my 'package' on show, so I decided some better trousers were needed.  After reading the reviews, I called into an Evans store to check out the Endura Singletrack pants.

At £64.99 these are expensive trousers.  But I'm so glad I got these!
I'm also glad I tried them on in a store, rather than buying online.  There's a lot of comments online that the Endura sizing is a bit hit and miss and they are certainly right.  The Endura sizing chart indicates that I should need a size M, being a 34-35" waist.  I tried these in the store and they were too tight.  Then tried a size L and these fit perfectly (even quite snug), even though the Eudura size L is 36-38".  I don't know who Endura uses for modelling, but the Scottish aren't known for being a slim lot!


These trousers seem to have flexibility in the right places with stretchy material on the knees, waist, crotch and down the sides.  There are pockets front and back, each with a central velcro pad to keep them closed.  But I find these pockets a little too tight and difficult to use while riding and and the velcro makes them difficult to remove something (like a handkerchief) with your gloves on.  One of the side pockets has an internal "zipped security pocket" for change.  This pocket is large (same size as outer pocket), but the zipped entry isn't wide.  I've got small hands and it's still tight.
There is a fixed belt on the front and side straps to adjust the waistband.  The front fastening is a single popper rather than a button.  At the bottom of each leg is a velco strap for keeping them tight at the ankles and away from your chain.  They also have a 13" long zip (with velcro tabs) up each leg, allowing them to open up enough to get on or off over shoes.
The best feature of these trousers is the 8" zipped vent panels on each leg, with stretchy mesh behind, allowing you to wear these in hot weather.  The vents really work well.
There's no padding inside, so you may need to wear padded underpants or lycra shorts underneath.  The trousers have poppers around the waist band (four panels with three poppers on each) to attach Endura "Clickfast" undershorts.


These trousers aren't fully waterproof.  I've been stuck out in bad rain and I still got soaked to the skin, but they are splash proof and fine for lighter showers.  They also aren't that warm, so during the recent cold weather, I'm still wearing my lycra trousers underneath.  But what they are, are a trouser you can wear all year round in the wet and dry, winter and summer.  They are also robust and offer great protection from brambles etc.  When the summer comes, I'm sure I'll still be wearing these, rather than my shorts.  If they get too hot, then I'll probably invest in a pair of the shorts or 3/4 length versions.


Overall, the best item of cycle clothing I've purchased so far.  


My rating: 9/10



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review .... should I buy online but the measures as you say, are not very reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your review .... should I buy online but the measures as you say, are not very reliable.

    ReplyDelete