Friday 31 December 2010

Differences between SRAM X7 & X9 shifters

SRAM state model years on their products and it is probably just a big marketing racket to make people upgrade.  Also there is some confusion about technologies shifting down the range when a new higher range is introduced.  i.e. is this year's X7 kit the same as the previous year's X9 kit?  Chat on the forums suggest this is the case sometimes.


I don't have any answers, but I do have a selection of SRAM 9-speed shifters, so I thought I'd post these comparison photos as this might help someone in the future. 


My bike (a 2010 Boardman Team FS) had SRAM X7 shifters with an X9 rear derailleur and X7 up front.   Over the last few weeks there seems to be loads of new SRAM kit on eBay.  I assume all the shops are selling off the 2010 kit to stock up on the 2011 kit.  Some of it is quite cheap, so I decided to upgrade my rear shifter to match the X9 derailleur.


So I purchased a new X9 9-speed shifter, only to find that when it arrived it was a 2009 model.  After asking on the forums, I was advised this was probably not an upgrade to my 2010 X7 shifter!  So I hunted out another new X9 shifter and this time purchased a 2011 model.


The differences between the two X9 shifters can been seen in these photos.  One is a 2010/2011 model (stamped Aug 2010) and the other is a 2009 model (stamped Jan 2009).



They both weigh the same at 130g.

My previous X7 shifter is stamped Aug 2009.  I'm not sure if this is a 2009 or 2010 model.  However, it is almost identical to the 2011 X9 shifter above.


The only visible difference is that the casing is all plastic rather than half metal of the X9.  The X7 shifter weighs 128g.  I've not opened them to see if there is any internal differences, but the shifting action feels the same when in your hand.

Obviously the case design has changed recently and is now slightly slimmer, but my conclusion is that the difference between an X7 and X9 model is just the metal case and obviously no point in spending the extra money for the X9 unless you really like the little bit of bling!  









2 comments:

  1. Sweet! Thanks. I have 2009/2010 x.7 shifters and was wondering if upgrading to the 2010/2011 x.9 would help. I guess I'll just stick with my x.7 until they brake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not just look at the SRAM spares catalogue available on their website? You can see exactly which parts are common between years/models.

    ReplyDelete