Saturday 7 January 2012

MTB chain weights


This post is about the weight differences (or rather the lack of a difference!) I've found in some 9-speed MTB chains.

The original chain on my 2010 Boardman FS Team was a Shimano HG-73. This chain is fitted to many new bikes as it is cheap basic chain. At the length I use, it weighs in at 266g. The current CRC price for this chain is £15.99.
Shimano HG-73 weighs 266g.  RRP £26.99
I later replaced this for a SRAM PC991 Cross Step chain. The Cross Step version is a stronger chain than the standard PC991 chain. The chain weighs in at 261g, about the same as the cheap Shimano, which is expected. The RRP of this chain is £45, but today's online price is £27 (in the Jan sales).
SRAM PC991 Cross Step weighs 261g.  RRP £44.99

This Christmas I received a Wiggle voucher, so I treated myself to a new chain as the SRAM above was rusting too readily and getting stiff, even after a good clean. It was getting too hard to keep this chain in good order. So I purchased a KMC X9SL Gold, probably the most expensive 9-speed chain on the market. This is KMC's "Super Light" chain that has hollow pins and slotted links.  The RRP for this chain is £59.99, but is reduced in the January sales and today's price is £39.89 at Wiggle and £46.99 at CRC, which is the typical normal retail price.
I was going to get the X9L (Light) as it is reported as possibly being stronger, but there were plenty of good reports of the SL, so I opted for the top model for that bit of extra weight saving.
However, the big surprise came when I weighed it. I first shortened it to the correct size (same as two chains above) and then I weighed it (and my old chains above) to see how much lighter it was and to my surprise it was only 11g lighter than the SRAM!

KMC X9SL Gold weighs 250g.  RRP £59.99
To be fair, KMC do state that this chain is "Super Light - weighs only 255g", so they are not lying there. But I was assuming that 255g (at it's full new length) would be considerably lighter than other cheaper chains. I was very surprised to see that there was such a minimal difference.
For a MTB'er there is not enough of a weight saving to justify buying this model for the weight saving credentials alone. However, maybe different for a road biker who's looking for trim off a few grams.
I'm in no way criticising this KMC chain. It says 255g on the box and that's what it was (before I shortened it) so they are correct, which is something that many other bike manufacturers aren't with their stated weights on other products. I've only just received this KMC chain so it is too early for me to comment on the quality and reliability. I'm sure it's a mighty fine chain and I'm happy with my purchase, particularly as it was a gift, so it's cost me nothing!




No comments:

Post a Comment